Thursday, September 15, 2016


The initial drawing phase.


The first phases of the painting process.


The painting is now taking a new direction.


The painting is now taking the shape of a mask.



My inspiration for this piece was once again a piece of fabric.  This piece was a border print.  When I first started I lined up my pattern straight across the bottom but I realized how dull it seemed and when I started playing with the pattern that is when it started to take a direction.  It was a happy accident when I inserted the centerpiece and suddenly I saw a mask.  Then the conception of one of those feathery carnival masks took root in my mind and that led to the finished work.  As for artists who have used fabric for their inspiration I really don't know of any other but in the critique of last week I was most encouraged to receive the feedback in the direction of fabric as a tool for creativity.  I think the suggestions has given me an avenue that will allow me a wide area of future projects.




No comments:

Post a Comment